Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Author Spotlight with Jennifer Domenico

Name: Jennifer Domenico

How long have you been writing? 

I've been writing since I figured out how to hold a pencil. 

Professionally, I've been writing for less than a year. I've had a few blogs over the years and even wrote for Examiner for a while, but I sat down and wrote my first novel just this past summer. It was published in October.Okay, that's not entirely true. I wrote, by hand, a novel back in my twenties and it was awful. Complete rubbish. So I don't really count that attempt.

Who has most influenced or inspired your writing? 

I have an aunt that is a published writer so I would say some of my inspiration comes from her, just that she had the courage to pursue it. As far as influences, I believe for me, it's rather broad. The act of falling in love with a book, feeling connected to the characters, being absorbed in someone else's world, and the intense pleasure that comes from that through the written word is inspirational for me. If I can create that kind of feeling for someone, well... nothing would please me more.

What is your most favourite book and why? 

That's a tough one. There have been many over the years that sucked me in.

Can I name a fiction one and a non fiction one? 

For non fiction, I'll say Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes. Her descriptions were so detailed. In one scene she describes a bean soup she was eating, by the time I was done reading it, I felt I could actually taste that soup.

For fiction, I guess its more historical fiction, The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George. It's written as though Cleopatra is telling her own story. Magical.

What is the worst book you have ever read and why? 

I usually won't finish a book I don't like, even though I try very much. I also try very hard not to bash other books, just because of author karma. If I don't like it, I don't comment. But in general, what I don't like is an underdeveloped plot, word choices that require a dictionary near by, or ridiculous plot points that require too much suspension of reality. Some fantasy is fine, of course, it's partly why we read, but it can veer towards nonsense at times.

What are you currently working on? 

I just finished writing the manuscript for book two in my trilogy. It's sitting now with test readers and then it will be off to editing. I plan to start book three in the spring, and have it published by summer. I have an idea brewing around in my head for a pseudo memoir about getting your mojo back after 40. 

What is your favourite genre to read and to write? 

I like to read travel essays about Italy. I am borderline obsessed with anything Italian and really love being pulled into a well written account of living there. I write contemporary romance that some have classified as erotic fiction, although that's not how I classify it. Odd that I write that genre but don't regularly read it. I have read some of the more popular romance books recently though, market research, I suppose.

What tips would you give readers when choosing a book?

Be open minded! Many good books out there are not in book stores and don't have big marketing budgets behind them. Listen to what your friends are reading, explore the internet for up and coming authors, and while you may read reviews online, be aware that everyone's opinion is subjective

What tip would you give authors when promoting their books?

Spend time cultivating relationships with your readers and other authors. Join supportive communities, like Master Koda, and get involved. Reciprocate any kindness or promotional efforts others help you with. Tell everyone you meet you are an author and have something with your book info on it to hand out. Be visible in social media but make your interactions meaningful. I chat with readers on my Facebook page almost daily. They've taken the time to come and like the page, I want them to know how much I appreciate them. I'm still learning a lot but promotions and such can be a good way to engage readers too.

In the movie of your {most recent} book who would play your characters? {Please give us the name of the book and the name of the character each actor would play} 

The first book in my trilogy is called, Turn Towards the Sun. I think my two main characters, Enzo Milano and Ava Bradshaw, would be cast by currently unknown actors. I've been playing around on my Pinterest page with "casting" my characters so if you really want to see what I have in mind, you can stop by there. I secretly hope that someday these books will be a movie. 

Other than writing do you have any other passions/ hobby's or jobs?  

I have a day job and of course my dream is to make a full time living being a writer. I have most definitely found my passion in writing and I'm very excited about where it will take me in the future.

What's your dream? 

Make enough money writing that I can pay off all my bills, buy a villa in Tuscany, and get invited to be interviewed by someone famous, Barbara Walters or Katie Couric, perhaps. I'm only slightly kidding.

Tell us something few know about you? 

I'm a pretty open book but some things that are sort of interesting I guess, are that I speak fluent Italian (my husband is from there), I'm a certified life coach and holistic nutritionist, and I would much rather by books that shoes anyday.

Have you any big writing plans for 2013? 

Yep, publish book two in the trilogy, then write and publish book three. By this time next year, I hope to be starting on my pseudo memoir or whatever else strikes my fancy by then.

What is the best review of your work you've received to date? 



Many of my readers compare my book to Fifty Shades of Grey in terms of the handsome, controlling billionaire and the sweet, loving woman that sweeps him off his feet, even though the content is quite different. 

The best review to me was from Amazon:


"Who needs Christian Grey, when you can have Enzo Milano." 

With the massive success and compelling nature of FSoG, the fact that someone put my character up to that level was a huge compliment. 



Is there anything else you would like to share or tell us? 

Yes, I would just like to say that if you like an author or a book, tell everyone! Share website links, buy the book as gifts, engage with the author, especially independent authors. Everyone might not agree with me on this, but I write, not just for myself, but for the entertainment value of readers. There's nothing more heartwarming than to hear your enthusiasm about a book or character and to know you shared that feeling with your friends and family.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do remember to stalk, connect, hook up and support Jennifer. 

Twitter: 
@jendomenico


Blog: www.jenniferdomenico.wordpress.com

Facebook Link: www.facebook.com/authorjendomenico


Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jendomenico

Jennifer on Amazon
Also available in paperback.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails