Monday, February 11, 2013

Her Mother's Daughter: Chapter 3


Chapter 3


From: Mark Toomey; marktoomey@toomeydiy.com
Date: June 18th 2009

To be honest Sis I’ve been thinking something is not right for some time.

Even still I can’t imagine that even Imelda would stoop so low. Is Rachelle sure they are definitely the same earrings? Like aren’t all diamond earrings the same? We’ll need to be really sure before we say anything to Trudy. I know it’s pointless asking this but have you tried talking to Imelda?

Maybe I should invite Brian out for a beer and get the lay of the land. Like if he is going to propose he might say something, you know, man to man. At least then we can be reassured, like if he is going to propose to Trudy he is hardly carrying on behind her back?

Let me know what you think.

Mark

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


      Rachelle Sinclair; rachellesinclair@finaltouches.com
Date: June 23rd 2009

Girls,

Brian found the wedding magazine I had bought (I know, it was a moment of weakness!). I came home last night and it was on the bed. He must have come home during the day for a nap because the sheets were all tossed. I’m sure I had it stuffed at the back of the drawer but come to think of it I was reading it last night, it could have just slipped down by the side of the dresser. What should I do??

Like this could be a good thing? He could think; Yes! We’re both on the same page and pop the question soon. Or he could think I’m a little obsessed and it could put him off.  I was thinking, if he makes a big (bad) deal out of it I will just say I bought it cause it has a section on Asian Honeymoons and I was thinking we could head to Asia on our holidays this year? It’s not entirely true I want to go to South America but Asia would be nice too. What do yas think? You’ve both been awful quiet since the housewarming, everything ok?

Kisses
Trudy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


To: Brian Manning; brianmanning@bricewater.com
From: Imelda Toomey; imeldatoomey@memail.com
Date: June 23rd 2009

Brian

You need to sort this mess out. Shelia and Rachelle have been asking A LOT of weird questions AND I found a bridal magazine stuffed at the back of Trudy’s drawers when I was at yours last night – are you two talking about getting married?

Do it quickly – like a band aid remember!

Mel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


      Rachelle Sinclair; rachellesinclair@finaltouches.com
Date: June 25th 2009

OMG, its tonight!! Brian just emailed me and asked if I was busy tonight. He said he had something really important that he wanted to talk to me about and did I fancy going out for dinner, his treat! He’s booked Trentino’s for 8pm!

Shell I know it’s sacrilegious but I really need a blow dry and can’t get over to you so I’m going to let the hotel hair dresser do it – hope you don’t mind! Don’t worry I won’t let her cut it!

Shelia I hope you don’t mind and I know I should have asked first but I rang Mum and asked her if she would drop down your red dress to me. I know you hate when she goes into your wardrobe but this is a MAJOR occasion – please say it’s ok???

Dum dum di dum…

SO excited!
Trudy
xxxxxxx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


To: Roger Toomey; rogertoomey@toomeydiy.com
From: Gertrude Toomey; gertrudetoomey@squawk.com
Date: June 25th 2009

Roger,

It’s me, your wife. Brian is proposing to Trudy tonight, I’ve made her promise to stop by the house after he does it to show me the ring, buy some champagne on your way home, oh and some chocolates too – the good ones this time. I’m off to get my hair done; dinner will be a little late.

Gert

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



To: Rachelle Sinclair; rachellesinclair@finaltouches.com
Date: June 26th 2009

Shell,

Brian proposed!

Mark just rang me, dad just told him. He (dad that is) walked, as casual as you like, into the shop, still drunk from the night before, and said load up one of the new pergola’s into the van, your mother wants it installed today so she can start growing roses around it for the wedding.

I’m in shock. I don’t know what to think now. Do we say something to Trudy about the earrings? I tried to get her on the phone but it keeps going to voicemail. No doubt she and Brian are still celebrating!

Shelia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



To: Gertrude Toomey; gertrudetoomey@squawk.com
From: Nathan Cullen; nathancullen@lavillarosa.com
Date: June 26th 2009

Dear Mrs. Toomey,

How lovely to hear from you again, we would be delighted to host yet another of your wonderful family events. My sincerest congratulations to you and your family on your daughter’s engagement, I remember the lovely couple well. In fact my god wife fell in love with your daughter’s beautiful diamond earrings. No doubt if the groom to be has such good taste with earrings the ring will be a sight to behold!

I have reserved your favourite room for the function and will post you out a selection of menu options to discuss with the happy couple. Would you like to meet Tuesday week for a tasting?

Kind Regards,

Nathan Cullen
Proprietor

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From: Rachelle Sinclair; rachellesinclair@finaltouches.com
Date: June 28th 2009

Shelia

Have you heard from Trudy? I haven’t heard a dickie and she still isn’t answering her mobile. Am a bit worried, she hasn’t even called to tell me she is engaged – which is REALLY strange! I’m heading over to the apartment tonight.

Shell


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


To: Rachelle Sinclair; rachellesinclair@finaltouches.com
Date: June 30th 2009

Shell,

What a 24 hours! After you left Trudy’s last night Mark arrived with Mum and Dad. Dad was in the van with him when we called and was on the phone to Mum before Mark could stop him – loudspeaker has its disadvantages!

All hell broke loose once they arrived. I was about to call Imelda to tell her what had happened and to say we were all with Trudy incase she got into a fit about not being included and Mark stopped me. He left on a hunch and drove to Imelda’s, Brian answered the door, Mark decked him and broke his nose and Imelda called the Gardai. After 6 hours in a cell they let him go with a caution. Mum of course fainted when she heard Mark had been arrested and hit her head on the coffee table on the way down so she and dad ended up in A&E. She is recovering now at home with 6 stitches and holding court with the neighbours.

I still can’t believe you were right all along.

Trudy is still not talking. I managed to get her to eat something and take a shower but that was about it.

 Dad went over to Imelda’s; well I suppose Imelda and Brian’s early this morning. He had to threaten to leave her out of the will before she would let him in. Brian didn’t say much. Dad said he seemed embarrassed. Imelda was her usual self righteous self. She even told Dad that Trudy didn’t deserve Brian, that she had never really wanted him. Dad came home in tears. He doesn’t understand how anyone, let alone twin sisters could end up like this, I can’t believe it either. He told Imelda he is ashamed and embarrassed by her and that she wasn’t welcome in his house. Not that she listened as who do you think turned up on the door about 5 hours later? - Imelda! I had just nipped home to pack a bag, so that I could stay with Trudy, and I opened the door, thinking it was Mrs. Mooney from next door with a barn barck and there she is as bold as brass. Dad charged down the stairs and pushed her back out the door. To the outside world I am sure the whole episode looked quite comical. Me standing their open mouth, Dad rushing forth and Mum tittering on the edge of her chair for a better look, (she nearly up ended her good tea set). Imelda stomped off screaming blue murder and blaming Trudy and Dad slammed the door for good measure. There are several curtains twitching on Coleman Crescent at the moment I can tell you!

As best I can figure out the following happened; mum being mum took it as gospel that Brian was proposing once Trudy had mentioned it. (She had even booked La Villa Rosa for their engagement party for the first Saturday in August!). When Trudy texted mum to say she wouldn’t be calling by, that she couldn’t talk and would phone in the morning, mum took it that the deed had been done and she and Dad opened the champers and started celebrating. When Dad walked into the shop and told Mark that Brian had popped the question, he saw no reason to question it and duly rang me!

What really happened was; Trudy met Brian at the restaurant, all through the meal he was really nice, if a little distant. He ordered all her favourite foods for her and she put his unusual mood down to nerves. She just returned from the loo and desert had been served when he started; ‘Truds I don’t know how to do this, so I am just going to do it like a band aid – real quick. I’m breaking up with you. There is someone else. I’ll be moving out in the morning.’ It took her a few minutes to realise what it was he was saying. THEN he says, ‘I don’t want a scene. I’ve booked you a taxi its outside. The bill is paid.’ And he left. It took me most of the night to get that much out of her.

My heart breaks for her. I’ve arranged a couple of days off for her. I said there had been a death in the family, which believe me, if Dad and Mark had their ways there very possibly would be. I know this is possibly bad but we haven’t told her Imelda is the other woman. We just don’t know how to. She did come by the apartment earlier with Brian to collect his things, thankfully Trudy was asleep, I through them out. I’m taking Trudy home for a couple of days for Brian to clear his things out.

What saddens me the most is that Imelda really doesn’t believe she has done anything wrong or is at fault. I don’t know exactly how long any of this is going on, or what exactly has been going on until now, but really your sister’s, your twin sisters boyfriend of 5 years? I’m just disgusted.

Talk soon
Shelia


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From: Mark Toomey; marktoomey@toomeydiy.com
Date: July 2nd 2009

Sis

I know, I’m worried about her too, but really, what did you expect? She’s just had her heart crushed and served to her in a very expensive restaurant. What’s worst still is she doesn’t know the half of it. I think we should tell her tonight that Imelda is the other woman. That’s possible going to hit her the hardest and each day we leave it the more she comes to terms with what the bastard has done, I don’t want her to have healed, even a little,  only to have to start all over again.

I have a little more of the sordid story. Imelda came to see dad again. She seems more put out that he is not talking to here then what she has done to her sister. He refused to speak to her at first and then said to her that he would consider allowing her back in the house if she was open and honest with him and answered five questions he had. She refused for awhile and they appeared to be at stalemate but Dad didn’t back down. (I think I now know where she gets her stubbornness from.)

Apparently this whole sordid affair has been going on for 8 months; at least that’s when they took it up a notch (her words not mine). Dad didn’t ask her what that meant but knowing Imelda that’s probably when they started sleeping together. Dad seemed to lose his resolve a bit then but pressed on to ask her one more question; did Imelda see marriage for her and Brian in the future. Imelda just laughed. Dad looked crestfallen and left the shop. Imelda ran after him but he ignored her, totally, it was actually surreal. She came back into the shop and asked me what was going on. It took all of my resolve not to deck her too. If I never lay eyes on her again it will be too soon.

Am going to pick up some comedy DVDs on my way home to watch with Trudy, could you sort the nibbles?

See ya later
Mark

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From: Rachelle Sinclair; rachellesinclair@finaltouches.com
Date: July 3rd 2009

Shelia

What a total mess.

I can’t believe that she went back to work. Did she really say nothing at all when you told her it was Imelda? I suppose what do you say? I imagine though I would kick or scream or do something, wouldn’t you? I don’t know. Are you sure letting her go back to work was the right thing to do?

What’s going to happen now? Has she mentioned anything about moving back into the apartment or Brian? Have they had any contact?

Hugs
Shelly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Date: July 4th 2009

Trudy,

Great to hear from you! 

Of course Mr. Garmin’s offer is still open. I must say I am surprised; you seemed very definite about staying in Ireland when last we spoke.

We would be delighted to have you on board with us here in New York as soon as possible. I will make the necessary arrangements with HR for you here and make contact with your GM this afternoon to advise him of your acceptance of your promotion. Of course the company will take care of your relocation expenses and set you up with some suitable accommodation here in the city. Would you prefer hotel or apartment living?

I’ll have a contract fedex’d over to you by close of business tomorrow and we can take it from there.

In the mean time if there is anything else I can help you with please let me know, oh and welcome on board!

Kind Regards,

Danny Glover
VP of Overseas Operations

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails