Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Matches, candles & Mrs. Doubtfire.

When I was about eight, or maybe it was twelve I went to England to stay with our 'rich relatives'. Our 'rich relatives' where a cousin of my father's and her partner. They were, what I suppose some would term, 'nouveau rich'. 'The partner' was [and is] a music manger, who in the immediate years proceeding my visit, had struck it big with numerous acts [all well known, but who shall remain nameless for now] and as a result had started to acquire many things, including a million pound mansion. [Bear in mind this is almost 20 years ago, so at the time a million pounds was an inconceivable amount, especially for an 8-12 year old!]


Any who, in addition to their new [amazingly huge and stunningly gorgeous] million pound mansion, A & D also acquired the quint essential house keeper and gardener. I remember distinctly that the gardener's name was Reginald, 'Reg' to his friends [of one I became]. I can't for the life of me remember the [true] name of the house keeper, although I am sure that if I were to phone my mother she would have it in an instant [she has an amazing head for names, thank god]. She [the housekeeper, and of course my mother too] was the nicest woman you could meet, the spit out of Mrs. Doubtfires mouth - hence the reason I can't remember her name as we all called her Mrs. Doubtfire - well we were kids and just thought it amazing that someone from 'the movies' was working where we were staying!

I suppose the most ironic thing about not remembering this dear, and unfortunately long since dead, woman's name is that I think of her ALL the time. Why you ask? Well, Mrs. Doubtfire had a hobby, something she did at the kitchen table, or out in the garden while she talked to Reg over tea. Mrs. Doubtfire decorated match boxes. A little of an unusual habit you might think, especially considering she had 2 young children in her charge all day and well 4 when my brother and I came to stay. But none the less Mrs. Doubtfire decorated match boxes and I have to say they were gorgeous! So gorgeous that for years my mother would refill the decorative box she had been given until it literally fell apart.

And so every time I use a match to light a candle, which is practically every day, [I'm candle obsessed] I think of Mrs. Doubtfire - my Mrs. Doubtfire... I really should call mum in the morning and ask her what the dear woman's name was. But I just thought tonight, as I lit my candles, what a profound effect that dear little woman and her match boxes had on me as a child that 20 years later she is still in my thoughts. I hope that when I am dead and gone, that there maybe someone in the world, who knew me briefly, that will still remember me and think of me often.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails