Thursday, February 4, 2010

To write or not to write, that is the question.


Like many of you I studied Shakespeare in school. I loved the idea of being able to recite from his plays at random but the reality was very different. If I'm honest I really didn't give his masterpieces the attention they deserved, but then few of us did - it was school after all.

Since James has become heavily involved in the Acting world and particularly our local dramatic society I now go regularly to see a wide variety of plays. And I must say I really enjoy them. Mostly I am shocked at how wrong my preconceived notions about certain plays are. Point in case; Playboy of the Western World - I didn't study it myself but it was on the curriculum at school therefore I assumed the play to be extremely high brow, boring and serious. I couldn't have been more wrong. James is currently in a four week run of the most fantastic production of this play I have ever seen (ok, ok, its the only production of this play I've seen - but its brilliant!).

Over the weeks and months of attending various plays either to watch him or with James, I've slowly had the desire to try my hat at writing a play myself. Sort of a personal secret challenge almost. Just to see if I can. Sure I wasn't 100% sure I could even write a book until recently and I'm now on my third! So anyways I have toyed with the idea for awhile now, and until last night I really hadn't done much more than think about. That was until I logged onto my writer's forum, a must for any Irish Lady writers out there, someone had posted that Draíocht are running a marvelous competition to discover new play writes. What's most exciting about this competition is they are actually going to help the chosen successful entrants write the play through a series of workshops - a dream come through for a novice like me who hasn't a clue!

So now my dilemma is, do I diverse now, or do I not. I'm sure many more seasoned writers of plays will be lapping up this chance and there will be me scratching my head, gob open wondering what the hell is going on... but then again when have I ever been afraid of making a fool of myself?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails