Thursday, May 27, 2010

7 Misconceptions Novice Writers often have.

In no partcular order:

1. Anyone can be a writer. 

It is true that anyone can write; once thought the ABC and basic syntax and grammar but that does not mean anyone can be a writer! Writing, as a career, takes dedication, hard work, long hours, constant revision and rejection and can be a very lonely place indeed. It's not a career that is suited to everyone and the term overworked and underpaid is very appropriate.

2.You can't teach yourself to write well; you either have it or you don't.

I'll let you in on a secret; well two actually. The first is rather widely known; Practice makes Perfect. The second; I'm dyslexic and a published author. With each letter, blog, email and book I write I get better. My diction improves, I understand grammar and punctuation more and my spelling improves -I've still a long way to go, as I'm you've noticed - but you can teach yourself or learn to be a better writer.

3. If a Publisher rejects me I must be a bad writer. 

Not entirely true. Its possible that yes the publisher may think your work unpublishable; but that is their opinion. Another might think differently. [JK Rowling was rejected 12 times, she is now a billionarie.] There is also the possibility that your work is not what they are looking for or your genre or style or topic is 'over published' either by them, or in general. Because few, if any, publishers return comments it can be very difficult to know or understand why you've been rejected. But just because you have doesn't mean your are bad.

4. A Publishing Deal is all about the book. 

Not in the slightest! Yes your book must be publishable and definitely must have a market but what is more important [yes even than your book] is your PR angle. How are they going to sell your book to the media who in turn well sell it to the masses. What they are looking for here is 'your story', preferably tied to the book, that they can give as an angle during interviews and as promotion. This can be a sob story, a 'fame' story, an obstacle you've overcome - whatever is best going to help them sell you and in turn your book. [Think about what you and Oprah, Ryan Turbrity, Jonathan Ross etc are going to be talking about while sitting on the couch. Sad as it might seem to you, they really aren't going to discuss your book [for too long].

5. If I post my manscript to a Publisher of course someone will read it. 

Not true I'm afraid. A decent publisher will receive in excess of 300+ manscripts a week. The first line of your introductory letter is possibly the most important line you'l ever write in your life; second only to the first line of your manuscript. Make your introductory letter memorable - Grab Their Attention!

6. My grammar, syntax, spelling and story line is perfect; I wont have to change a thing. 

No doubt you'll have had at least 5 friends and family members read your book for feedback and for the most part they may have advised on small mistakes and errors and told you it was great! [That they can't wait for the next one] [See point 7 for advice on this]  And I'm sure they all meant it; but an editor will ask for changes. There are two reasons for this. 1. they work professionally in the industry and know what works and sells, your family and friends or you [most likely] don't [so listen to their advice] 2. they have to justify their jobs! [N.B. an editor will no doubt make many, many suggestions to you and for the most part they will probably be right, but don't be afraid to disagree with them. This is your book afterall. BUT do remember to have an open mind.]


7. I shouldn't show my work to anyone! 

There are 2 schools of thought on this; 1. You shouldn't show your work; the burden is too much. 2. You should, to at least 5 - 10 - but have a plan!

I'm off the opinion that you should definitely have friends and family look over it; but approach it wisely. Look for a cross section of people in ages and tastes [in book genres]. Compile a list of 10 questions you would like them to answer after they have read it; cover ares like characters, plot, sub plot etc or areas where you are unsure of storyline etc. I would normaly wait until the entire book is finished [first draft] before showing it to many, although I do have one friend read my chapters as I write.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails