Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Taking writing back to basics!

Most of you will know that I am a writer. With 2 books completed I was well into book number 3; that was however until a well known publisher expressed interest in book 2.

Book 2, entitled 'Purple Tulips' was the story of a reproductively challenged woman and her struggle with the idea of having children. It was a story I was proud of; but always felt it needed more. It appears I was right! While the 'well known publisher' thought I showed great promise and potential, they felt the story lacked strength; something which had niggled at the back of my mind.

So armed with their suggestions and advice, today I am taking the story back to basics.

Common Character Types 

Pulling apart almost 6 months of work was never going to be easy; but I have enjoyed 'killing' some of characters; its refreshed and revived the work. 

One of the things I concentrated on today was looking at common character types, I identified seven. 

The Flat Character 

The person who reveals one or two personality traits that never change throughout the book. 

Example: The fat, grumpy shopkeeper, who always mumbles when handing you your change. 

The Foil 

A character that is used to enhance another. 

Example: Think Cinderella and her ugly stepsisters. 

The Round Character

A character who is well developed and demonstrates varied and sometimes contradictory personality traits. Round characters are often dynamic (see below); they change in some way during the course of the novel. 

Example: The mean and bitchy cheerleader who offers a helping hand to the nerdy underdog. 

The Confidante

The person the central character confides in, thus revealing their personality, thoughts ad intentions. A confidante does not have to be a person. 

Example: A shy, but yearning young girl fills the pages of her diary with her hopes and dreams. 

The Dynamic Character 

Someone who changes during the course of the novel; this change is always permanent. 

Example: The dark, brooding recluse falls in love and becomes a happy, function member of society. 

The Stock Character 

A special kind of flat character that is instantly recognizable.

Example: The ruthless businessman and the dumb blonde.

It's worth noting...  

That many characters are often a combination of the above listed common character types; obviously not those that are a contradiction in terms! 

Getting back to basic as been good for me, looking at my characters and how I can develop them will inject a new, fresh lease of life into my story. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails